Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Stitched Striations - A New Name

This was intended to be the back of this piece - however I got a little carried away with stitching that I ended up concentrating on the back which is now the front!
Edge detail
At first I was not going to stitch the green sections - but they need to be brought into the fold so they will now be stitched to give a bit of continuity.
Just a wider view
This is the "new" back!  All of these fabrics are older Hoffman prints from about 10 years ago.  I just cut them up into rectangles and randomly stitched them together into panels separated by black cotton fabric.  So now there is texture rather than stitch detail that is more evident  on this side.  Though I like these fabrics, the opposite side is my favorite.
Here it is all finished, except for the binding which will take no time at all as it will also be stitched.  Formerly named the "Quicky Quilt" now has a new title - Stitched Striations.  I didn't really like the cutesy first name.  So anyhow you can see all the stitching in various colors and threads.  I let the needle lead the way here, so the stitching is intentionally uneven and the stitched design is random.  If you click on the picture you can see more detail.  This started out as a small project to use up some bits of fabric (bottom picture).  All the fabric is manufactured - not dyed by me.

5 comments:

  1. Real nice...love the embroidery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'm glad you like it. It was a lot of fun - I didn't really look at the whole piece until it was nearly completely stitched - I wanted to be surprised too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that funny? I love the stitches being visible on the new front. There's nothing so seductive as a stitched surface! The patterns make a beautiful back...in fact you could always call it double sided?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I really like this one a lot. It's more of a canvas than a collage. (Not that there's anything wrong with collages.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had great fun dong this one - I just let the eye of the needle see where to go and I folowed!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...